North Carolina Law only allows Certified Death Certificates to be issued to the following:
- Your spouse (currently married)
- Child or Step-child
- Your parent
- Those seeking information for legal determination of personal or property rights
- Authorized agent, attorney, or legal representative of the person who's certificate is being requested
The Sampson County Register of Deeds requires that anyone wishing to obtain a certified copy of a death certificate either in person or by mail must provide a valid government issued picture ID to identify themselves.
- Certified Copies: $10.00 each
- Uncertified Copies: $0.25 (If request is processed via US Postal Service Mail then the copy is $1.)
REQUESTS MADE IN PERSON
You may visit the Register of Deeds office in person to obtain a certified copy during regular business hours.
REQUESTS VIA MAIL
If you cannot visit our office you may obtain a certified copy by mail. The requestor must submit a written request that includes the requestor's relationship to the individual named on the certificate, the full name of the person named on the certificate, and their date of death. In addition, the requestor must submit a copy of a government issued picture ID, the statutory fee of $10 per certificate requested and a self addressed stamped envelope. Please be advised that only money orders will be accepted as payment. The written request, ID and fee should be mailed to the Sampson County Register of Deeds, 126A West Elizabeth Street, Clinton, NC 28328.