Women, Infant & Children (WIC)


WIC Makes a Healthy Difference

This federally funded program provides nutritional education to women (pregnant, postpartum and breast-feeding), infants, NC eWICand children to age 5. Eligibility is determined by category, residence, income and medical/nutritional risk. WIC also provides breastfeeding support, issuance of manual, multi-user and single-user electric breast pumps, along with health referrals and eating tips for you and your child. 

The North Carolina WIC Program has moved from a paper-based method of WIC benefit issuance to an electronic transfer system (eWIC). 
Instead of paper food instruments, WIC food benefits are issued into an electronic benefit account at the local WIC clinic. Families use their eWIC card and PIN to access their food benefits at the grocery store.

For more information or to make a comment, contact the Sampson County Health Department WIC Office at 910-592-1131.

For more information about the Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program for breastfeeding mothers participating in WIC, contact:

Penny Hernandez
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor
(910) 214-5896  or (910) 592-1131 ext. 4225
                World Breastfeeding Logo




Erin Ellis, RN 
Breastfeeding Coordinator 
(910) 592-1131 ext. 4965




To apply for WIC or inquire about eligibility contact the Sampson County Health Department, Monday through Friday during the hours of 8:00am to 5:00pm, at (910) 592-1131.

The USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal Civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, an employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print audiotape, American Signe Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (state or local) whey they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint form, (AD-3027) found online at : http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by :

Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

Fax: (202) 690-7442


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.