Legal Aid of North Carolina’s Senior Law Project provides free civil legal help to those who are 60 years of age or older. Priority is given to those with the greatest needs. Help with wills, powers of attorney, public benefits (Medicaid, food stamps, Supplemental Security Income Program, Social Security Disability Insurance, etc.), abuse and neglect, unemployment compensation, housing (foreclosure, eviction, subsidized housing, repairs, utilities, etc.), consumer issues and wrongful repossession.
Toll-free: 1-877-579-7562 Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm
- Dementia Education/Alzheimer’s Support Group Meeting: second Tuesday of each month in the Sampson County Department of Aging conference room at 2:00 pm.
- Family Caregiver Support Group Meeting: fourth Monday of each month in the SCDOA conference Room at 6:00 pm.
- Grandparents Raising Children Support Group Meeting: the fourth Wednesday of each month in theSCDOA conference room at 10:30 am.
For more information concerning these support groups click here.
SHIIP is a division of the North Carolina Department of Insurance which strives to assist Medicare beneficiaries in making well-informed health insurance decisions.
- To aid consumers, Medicare beneficiaries and their families in understanding the choices of insurance products and services available to them;
- Serve as a clearinghouse for publications that are geared toward educating Medicare beneficiaries on health insurance-related matters;
- Establish and maintain a senior peer-counseling program where Volunteer Counselors can serve the needs of Medicare beneficiaries; and
- Assist other agencies with health insurance-related problems facing their client population.
- Offer counseling through a toll-free consumer counseling line
- Providing one-on-one counseling through a statewide network of trained volunteers;
- Serving as a clearinghouse for federal and state-specific publications regarding Medicare and health insurance issues
- Providing consumer education by addressing community and employee groups, and participating in health fairs and forums; and
- Offering access to information via the web site at www.ncshiip.com
- You can always call the toll-free number to get counseling that you need right away 1-855-408-1212 Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm
- Unless you are on dual eligibility meaning you have Medicare and Medicaid you can only make changes during “Annual Election Period” or sometimes called “Open Enrollment” which is from October 15 through December 7. Department of Aging are making appointments for designated times during this time. Call 910-592-4653 and to make an appointment for Medicare Counseling during Open Enrollment from October 15 through December 7.
- If you have immediate questions call the toll-free number!